So….I’ve been flirting with this idea for YEARS. Literally, years.
For a long time now I’ve been trying to decide if I should start a Youtube channel. I watch A LOT of Youtube. How would it be for me to be on the other side of the screen?
I’ve heard, “You should start a YouTube channel” from several people. These people don’t usually know that I was already thinking about it. What makes them suggest it? It seems random, but maybe it’s not?
People who know me personally think I’m funny. I don’t try to be, it’s just how my brain works. I think when I’m talking with people and I’m relaying a story or talking about some wild point of view I have, the other person feels…entertained?
About two years ago I was really close to starting. I watched other Youtubers talk about how they got started and what equipment they used. I even talked to my now husband about using his Mac to edit videos.
However, every time I would get the nerve to start (even to the point of planning out content) I always found a way to talk myself out of it:
“There’s a lot of creepy people on the internet. You don’t want to expose that many people to your personal life…What if your teenage clients find your channel? That will make work hard…You’re very protective of your family. What if the trolls really get to you?…So and so already has a channel. It would be like you’re copying them…You can’t be a YouTuber if you already have a full time job. 90% of the Youtubers you watch are stay at home moms…How long are you supposed to make videos anyway? For the rest of your life?”
And so on and so forth.
I desired a way to share my ideas, be creative, and interact with others. I thought, “What’s a safe way to do that? Start a blog!” Hahaha! I was content with this solution.
But recently I’ve entered back into the cycle of wanting to start a channel. Here’s why I’m leaning towards taking action on this:
- There’s so many people I want to keep in touch with (in my home city, Ohio, and Cameroon) who want updates on what’s going on with us. I feel like making videos would be the easiest way to update everyone at once.
- I can control how much I expose on my channel.
- I think it would be fun to connect with people.
- In my new role I won’t have clients so I’m not concerned about the channel interfering with my work life.
- The videos would be nice to have for memories.
- Who cares if other people have channels. I know people who have blogs but that didn’t stop me from having one. They’re them and I’m me. That alone makes the channels different.
- I have a lot to offer the world. I can encourage and uplift others and even make them laugh in the process.
Sound off! What do you think? Should I start a YouTube channel? Would you watch?